From: Mrugesh Karnik <mrugeshkarnik@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initng or runit?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:16:58
1 On Wednesday 23 August 2006 07:28, Thomas Kear wrote:
2
3 > The real advantage that initng posesses are, unless runit's website
4 > is simply failing to mention it, auto-restarting of failed daemons,
5 > virtual dependencies, and clever multi-distro compatible scripts that
6 > use a preprocessor at install time (see the #ifd / #elsed / #endd
7 > statements in a file like
8 > http://svn.initng.org/initng-ifiles/trunk/initfiles/system/modules.ii
9 >).
10
11 I've used runit for a little while. It uses daemontools from qmail to
12 monitor services. Hence it also has auto-restarting of failed daemons.
13 I haven't used it long enough to know about dependencies though. I
14 thought runit was pretty good.
18 Mrugesh Karnik
19 GPG Key 0xBA6F1DA8
20 Public key on http://wwwkeys.pgp.net