From: Thomas Kear <thomas.kear@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initng or runit?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 02:03:01
1 I've never tried runit, but being an initng dev, I'm expected to be
2 somewhat biased.
3
4 Having just had a quick look at runit, it appears we have the larger
5 collection of init scripts, however being simple bash scripts it could
6 be expected that runit's are slightly easier to make.
7
8 The real advantage that initng posesses are, unless runit's website is
9 simply failing to mention it, auto-restarting of failed daemons,
10 virtual dependencies, and clever multi-distro compatible scripts that
11 use a preprocessor at install time (see the #ifd / #elsed / #endd
12 statements in a file like
13 http://svn.initng.org/initng-ifiles/trunk/initfiles/system/modules.ii).
14
15 I've never tried RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP, haven't used sysvinit at all in 9 months.
18 Thomas Kear
19 thomas.kear@×××××.com
20 +6421996486
21 --