From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initng or runit?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:10:42
1 On Monday 21 August 2006 09:35, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:01:24 -0400 Jerry McBride
5 >
6 > <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
7 > > Would some kind soul save me a bit of research time? Which of the two
8 > > alternative init schemes are faster, initng or runit?
9 >
10 > That most likely doesn't depend on the init process. Most time is
11 > consumed by the numerous (re-)starts of /bin/sh, i.e. bash in most
12 > cases, through all the init scripts.
13 >
14 > If you're about to play with an embedded device like machine and boot
15 > time really matters, I'd suggest writing the system setup tasks (rcS)
16 > in pure C. If you want to save a few shell startups, you might as well
17 > use /etc/inittab and sysvinit. Sysvinit, initng, runit or minit (which
18 > I like best) doesn't really matter for timing. That time is wasted in
19 > other places.
20 >
21 > For a VDR (digital PVR) machine, I'm using busybox' reduced sysvinit
22 > clone. Works like a charm, from boot till VDR running it's about 30sec.
23 > You might get a few more seconds for reimplementing system setup in
24 > pure C, as suggested. AFAIK, e.g. the Linksys Linux firmware does that.
25 > You might consider using their program as a template..
28 We've settled upon initng and fcache. Between the two, I can boot a "fully
29 loaded" laptop in under 13 seconds. That's pretty impressive.
30
31 Thanks for the tips and info.
32
33 Cheers... Jerry.