From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initng or runit?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:40:41
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:01:24 -0400 Jerry McBride
4 <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > Would some kind soul save me a bit of research time? Which of the two
7 > alternative init schemes are faster, initng or runit?
8
9 That most likely doesn't depend on the init process. Most time is
10 consumed by the numerous (re-)starts of /bin/sh, i.e. bash in most
11 cases, through all the init scripts.
12
13 If you're about to play with an embedded device like machine and boot
14 time really matters, I'd suggest writing the system setup tasks (rcS)
15 in pure C. If you want to save a few shell startups, you might as well
16 use /etc/inittab and sysvinit. Sysvinit, initng, runit or minit (which
17 I like best) doesn't really matter for timing. That time is wasted in
18 other places.
19
20 For a VDR (digital PVR) machine, I'm using busybox' reduced sysvinit
21 clone. Works like a charm, from boot till VDR running it's about 30sec.
22 You might get a few more seconds for reimplementing system setup in
23 pure C, as suggested. AFAIK, e.g. the Linksys Linux firmware does that.
24 You might consider using their program as a template.
25
26 -hwh
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list