From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initng or runit?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:53:36
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:58:01 +1200 "Thomas Kear"
4 <thomas.kear@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Having just had a quick look at runit, it appears we have the larger
7 > collection of init scripts, however being simple bash scripts it could
8 > be expected that runit's are slightly easier to make.
9
10 Runit does *not* depend on bash scripts but whatever you want. The
11 runsv binary just starts ./run in the service directory.
12
13 I like fefe's minit better, because you can even set arguments to
14 that ./run binary. That way, you can just make a symlink to the daemon's
15 executable and store the params in that mentioned file. This means you
16 don't have to start some kind of shell or script in order to execute
17 the daemon.
18
19 > The real advantage that initng posesses are, unless runit's website is
20 > simply failing to mention it, auto-restarting of failed daemons,
21
22 heh, runit's main purpose is "service supervision". If it wouldn't
23 restart failed daemons, the easiest approach would have bin
24 a /bin/sh-skript as init.
25
26 > virtual dependencies,
27
28 Yep, that's right. Minit has better dependency management, though, but
29 I think this would be overkill in most embedded systems anyway.
30
31 > and clever multi-distro compatible scripts that
32 > use a preprocessor at install time (see the #ifd / #elsed / #endd
33 > statements in a file like
34 > http://svn.initng.org/initng-ifiles/trunk/initfiles/system/modules.ii).
35
36 I don't think that start scripts for various daemons are absolutely
37 needed. They're more part of the init's documentation. And hey: For
38 best speed, multi-distro compatibility is a no-no.
39
40 > I've never tried RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP, haven't used sysvinit at all in
41 > 9 months.
42
43 I'd like to add that gentoo's own /sbin/rc is not a feature of
44 sysvinit. sysvinit is not *that* bad, after all. What has gone wild is
45 the /etc/init.d style of doing things.
46
47 -hwh
48
49 PS: the mentioned 30secs boot time in my previous mail to this thread
50 are for a Pentium MMX 166. Using Gentoo's init scheme, that would have
51 been forever.
52 --
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list