From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I don't seem to have a system log. Help, please!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 11:53:01
1 On 02/09/2015 06:49 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 09 Feb 2015 11:23:15 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> You don't have to export them from anything unless you need their
4 >> content in a text file. If you just run "journalctl" that is the
5 >> equivalent of typing cat /var/log/messages. If you do want to parse
6 >> them with an external tool then you get your choice of several text
7 >> formats and json.
8 > The thing is I never use cat. I invariably use less, rview, or grep, to
9 > browse or search the log files.
10 >
11 > How will this work with journalctl, will I have to export them first into a
12 > different format?
15 You can run `journalctl | grep whatever`. I don't know what rview is,
16 but as long as whatever you're using supports pipes you should be fine.