From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT overheat] How to cause shutdown on overheat
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:29:52
1 On 9/30/06, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Message from syslogd@reader at Sat Sep 30 04:41:32 2006 ...
3 > reader kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold
4 >
5 > Message from syslogd@reader at Sat Sep 30 04:41:32 2006 ...
6 > reader kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode
7 >
8 > [...]
9 >
10 > Some kind of attempt by kernel to cool things down. But will it
11 > actually shutdown if it gets dangerously hot?
12
13 Nope, not the kernel. Modern CPUs have built-in thermal
14 throttling...if they get too hot, they reduce their clocks until
15 things cool down. They generate an exception when this occurs, which
16 the kernel sees and logs if you have the right ACPI options enabled.
17
18 They will also simply shutdown if the temperature gets too warm.
19 However, this would generally be bad, as no clean shutdown or even
20 disk sync would occur.
21
22 > Further, how can I discover what temperatures were involved when this
23 > happened?
24
25 Download the processor specs from the manufacturer's web site....that
26 should list the throttle and shutdown temperatures.
27
28 > Or can I set something to make a shutdown happen at a specific
29 > temperature?
30
31 Install and run acpid, and you should get ACPI temperature events
32 passed through to /etc/acpi/default.sh, which you can edit to handle
33 in whatever way you see fit.
34
35 -Richard
36 --