From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: removing X
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:40:02
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:56:57 -0600, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 >> I don't want to follow the advice offered there an run the newuse
6 >> world yet... I want to finish cleaning house first.
7 >>
8 >> Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
9 >> the following required packages not being installed
10 >>
11 >> x11-proto/kbproto required by x11-libs/libX11-1.1.1
12 >> x11-libs/libXt-1.0.5 x11-proto/xextproto required by
13 >> x11-libs/libXext-1.0.3
14 > ...
15 >
16 > You may have a long night ahead of you. Unless this is a slow machine, it
17 > is probably quicker to emerge -u world first, especially if most the
18 > packages you have removed as as small as the ones you listed.
19 >
20 Thanks... this wasn't a huge installation. I'm not sure how many
21 installed packages were there... but I was able to get it done in
22 about 1 hr.
23
24 emerge was able to gulp long cmdlines constructed like:
25
26 eix -I >installed
27 Then a series of this type command:
28 emerge -vC `awk '/x11-drivers/{print $2}'`
29
30 Rebuilding the `installed' file occasionally.
31
32 I'm not sure what kind of a mess I've created yet .. I just started
33
34 emerge -vuDe world
35
36 Today about 1/2 hr ago
37
38 But at least the `world' file was pared way down; no monster kde
39 compiles to wait out.
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list