From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find init due to inconsistent drive order
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 15:21:43
1 On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 15:09:28 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > I had this problem on my Intel motherboard, and found out you can
4 > > disable booting from external drives. "Boot to removable devices" or
5 > > similar in the BIOS. Failing that, changing the boot order so that the
6 > > firewire/USB device is at the very end of the boot list may help your
7 > > situation.
8 >
9 > The problem isn't that the BIOS is booting the wrong drive. The BIOS
10 > is booting the correct drive, grub is starting, grub is loading the
11 > correct kernel. When the _kernel_ runs it (sometimes) identifies disk
12 > drives in the wrong order and tries to mount the root directory from
13 > the wrong drive.
14
15 And the BIOS order can affect the order in which the kernel sees the
16 drives, so it is worth trying.
17
18 I'd go for the firewire-as-a-module approach and add the module
19 to /etc/conf.d/modules to make sure it is loaded ASAP. Yes, it is a
20 kludge, but it is the simplest solution from a practical POV.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Processor: (n.) a device for converting sense to nonsense at the speed
27 of electricity, or (rarely) the reverse.