From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find init due to inconsistent drive order
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 15:10:14
1 On 2013-07-02, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 07/02/2013 07:23 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2013-07-01, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> 2) Unplug or power down the firewire drive when booting.
9 > I had this problem on my Intel motherboard, and found out you can
10 > disable booting from external drives. "Boot to removable devices" or
11 > similar in the BIOS. Failing that, changing the boot order so that the
12 > firewire/USB device is at the very end of the boot list may help your
13 > situation.
14
15 The problem isn't that the BIOS is booting the wrong drive. The BIOS
16 is booting the correct drive, grub is starting, grub is loading the
17 correct kernel. When the _kernel_ runs it (sometimes) identifies disk
18 drives in the wrong order and tries to mount the root directory from
19 the wrong drive.
20
21 >> Number 6 (fixing the kernel) is The Right Thing To Do(tm), but it's a
22 >> bit out of scope for the momement. The "early code" in the kernel
23 >> obviously knows how to read partition tables and also knows about the
24 >> relevent file system, so I'm a bit baffled why it can't look at the
25 >> file system label.
28 > Is CONFIG_EDD set?
29 >
30 > CONFIG_EDD:
31 >
32 > Say Y or M here if you want to enable BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive
33 > Services real mode BIOS calls to determine which disk BIOS tries boot
34 > from. This information is then exported via sysfs.
35
36 This has nothing to do with what disk drive the BIOS tries to boot
37 from (there's no problem with that).
40 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm wearing PAMPERS!!
41 at
42 gmail.com