From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage and rsync vs svn
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:07:21
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2
3 >On Monday 19 June 2006 22:15, Trenton Adams wrote:
6 >>For example, with openldap, you're supposed to slapcat before
7 >>upgrading, and slapadd after upgrading, or you could have database
8 >>problems. I did not know this. So when I went from 2.2-2.3, I had
9 >>problems. But, I didn't have time to get it working, as I needed it
10 >>up and running NOW. So, I reverted to the old package by masking the
11 >>new one, and then went to find out why it occurred after the fact.
12 >>This is one simple example of potential problems. But something on a
13 >>wider scale could occur.
17 >Did you have a look at FEATURES=buildpkg? Look at man 5 make.conf. While it
18 >takes up a couple of GB it allows you to downgrade to a previously installed
19 >version without needing to compile it again.
24 Or rescue yourself if you delete something and portage, gcc or something
25 critical doesn't work anymore. I have been there, twice, and it is a
26 life saver for sure. I did NOT get my shirt though. :-(
27
28 Dale
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list