From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage and rsync vs svn
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:57:33
1 On Monday 19 June 2006 22:15, Trenton Adams wrote:
2 > For example, with openldap, you're supposed to slapcat before
3 > upgrading, and slapadd after upgrading, or you could have database
4 > problems.  I did not know this.  So when I went from 2.2-2.3, I had
5 > problems.  But, I didn't have time to get it working, as I needed it
6 > up and running NOW.  So, I reverted to the old package by masking the
7 > new one, and then went to find out why it occurred after the fact.
8 > This is one simple example of potential problems.  But something on a
9 > wider scale could occur.
10
11 Did you have a look at FEATURES=buildpkg? Look at man 5 make.conf. While it
12 takes up a couple of GB it allows you to downgrade to a previously installed
13 version without needing to compile it again.
16 Bo Andresen