From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New kernel does not boot up on remote host
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:57:45
1 Sorry, I was building again my kernel image to confirm that It was not
2 a stupid mistake.
3
4 2007/7/6, Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>:
5 > I recently discovered 'savefallback' in grub which I did not know about.
6 > I'll assume you're using that but again, I haven't seen your grub.conf.
7 >
8 > Dan Farrell made an intresting point about boot log and showconsole, but
9 > I assumed you were already using that.
10
11 Ya, I did it. No boot.log created when booting the xen-kernel, but
12 reporting good status when I boot up the good 2.6.20 one. So, feature
13 is on.
14
15 > But I still don't that will help
16 > you because your problem appears to be one of the following:
17 >
18 > * Grub is not loading your kernel and is falling back (same as my
19 > original theory)
20
21 Ya, you should be right...
22
23 > * Your kernel/hypervisor is loading but is crashing immediately.
24 > If the Xen hypervisor is crashing you really need the console.
25 > AFAIK there's no option to log. The only option you really have
26 > is whether or not to immediately reboot when it crashes. If Xen
27 > is loading successfully then it loads your dom0. If that's
28 > crashing it's probably crashing immediately (i.e. not even
29 > mounting root). If it is the dom0 then that seems to be the case
30 > since you can't find any record of it having booted. If you
31 > crash before you mount root read/write then showconsole and
32 > bootlog are useless.
33 > All things said, I'm still guessing that it's either a grub problem or
34 > Xen doesn't like your hardware. Xen is picky about hardware and
35 > sometimes you have to turn on/off things in the BIOS or as a parameter
36 > to Xen (like the ACPI controller) but it's going to be hard to guess
37 > without an error message and I'm betting that error message appears
38 > before bootlog/showconsole take effect.
41 Okay, thanks a lot, I am looking for such information since I am new
42 to xen. I will google for people running xen solutions on the same
43 kind of boxes.
46 > --
47 > Albert W. Hopkins
48 >
49 > --
50 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
54 Many thanks for your support guys ;o)
55
56 Gal'
57 --
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list