From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New kernel does not boot up on remote host
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:19:15
1 I recently discovered 'savefallback' in grub which I did not know about.
2 I'll assume you're using that but again, I haven't seen your grub.conf.
3
4 Dan Farrell made an intresting point about boot log and showconsole, but
5 I assumed you were already using that. But I still don't that will help
6 you because your problem appears to be one of the following:
7
8 * Grub is not loading your kernel and is falling back (same as my
9 original theory)
10 * Your kernel/hypervisor is loading but is crashing immediately.
11 If the Xen hypervisor is crashing you really need the console.
12 AFAIK there's no option to log. The only option you really have
13 is whether or not to immediately reboot when it crashes. If Xen
14 is loading successfully then it loads your dom0. If that's
15 crashing it's probably crashing immediately (i.e. not even
16 mounting root). If it is the dom0 then that seems to be the case
17 since you can't find any record of it having booted. If you
18 crash before you mount root read/write then showconsole and
19 bootlog are useless.
20
21 All things said, I'm still guessing that it's either a grub problem or
22 Xen doesn't like your hardware. Xen is picky about hardware and
23 sometimes you have to turn on/off things in the BIOS or as a parameter
24 to Xen (like the ACPI controller) but it's going to be hard to guess
25 without an error message and I'm betting that error message appears
26 before bootlog/showconsole take effect.
30 Albert W. Hopkins
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list