From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openoffice 2.0 - compiling or binary
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:23:26
1 Use rsync. I am not sure how much gain there is to be had but try using
2 an older version as the seed file - should save at least a little.
3 Creative use of head/tail with seed files and already downloaded
4 portions can save a lot if the link drops out halfway.
5
6 Make sure you use the -P option (read "man rsync") e.g. "rsync -Pv
7 --stats --bwlimit=2 filename ." wget has a similar option. BB (Before
8 Broadband!) I set this for both wget and rsync in /etc/make.conf. wget
9 will usually download faster on high quality connections than rsync, but
10 overall, if you have a seed file, rsync wins hands down.
11
12 The bandwidth option is useful if you still want to use the link whilst
13 downloading. Both rsync and wget request chunks of the file, then wait
14 an amount of time before getting the next chunk. This averages out to
15 the required throughput, but some apps did not deal with this very well
16 (p[arrallel scp downloads slowed to a crawl for instance, leaving a
17 large part of the available bw unused.
18
19 Best bet in this case is to try and find a local person with broadband
20 who will download and burn to cd for you. I used to use a modem for
21 gentoo for a few years and know what you are up against - but I think
22 its worse for the binary distros as I found I was downloading whole CD's
23 on a regular basis - and thats a whole lot worse than OO!
24
25 BillK
26