From: Martins Steinbergs <mar@××.lv>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openoffice 2.0 - compiling or binary
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 02:20:11
1 On Thursday 01 December 2005 03:17, W.Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Use rsync. I am not sure how much gain there is to be had but try using
3 > an older version as the seed file - should save at least a little.
4 > Creative use of head/tail with seed files and already downloaded
5 > portions can save a lot if the link drops out halfway.
6 >
7 > Make sure you use the -P option (read "man rsync") e.g. "rsync -Pv
8 > --stats --bwlimit=2 filename ." wget has a similar option. BB (Before
9 > Broadband!) I set this for both wget and rsync in /etc/make.conf. wget
10 > will usually download faster on high quality connections than rsync, but
11 > overall, if you have a seed file, rsync wins hands down.
12 >
13 > The bandwidth option is useful if you still want to use the link whilst
14 > downloading. Both rsync and wget request chunks of the file, then wait
15 > an amount of time before getting the next chunk. This averages out to
16 > the required throughput, but some apps did not deal with this very well
17 > (p[arrallel scp downloads slowed to a crawl for instance, leaving a
18 > large part of the available bw unused.
19 >
20 > Best bet in this case is to try and find a local person with broadband
21 > who will download and burn to cd for you. I used to use a modem for
22 > gentoo for a few years and know what you are up against - but I think
23 > its worse for the binary distros as I found I was downloading whole CD's
24 > on a regular basis - and thats a whole lot worse than OO!
25 >
26 > BillK
29 good option for slow networks is getdelta.sh described in
30
31 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=215262
32
33 saves something like 90%, especially good with big distfiles
34
35 martins
38 Linux 2.6.15-rc2 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
39 04:25:24 up 13:37, 6 users, load average: 0.18, 0.23, 0.78
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list