From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] How fast was ... ?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:30:48
1 Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> [11-10-27 17:10]:
2 > Am 27.10.2011 06:34, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
3 > >
4 > > On Oct 27, 2011 9:50 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de
5 > > <mailto:meino.cramer@×××.de>> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com <mailto:mikemol@×××××.com>> [11-10-26
8 > > 20:40]:
9 > >> > On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de
10 > > <mailto:meino.cramer@×××.de>> wrote:
11 > >> > > Hi,
12 > >> > >
13 > >> > > On www.archive.org <http://www.archive.org> I found videos of the
14 > > series "Computer Chronicle"
15 > >> > > with Richard Cheifet and Gary Kildall (the inventor of CP/M and the
16 > >> > > founder of Intergalactical Digital Research, later known as Digital
17 > >> > > Research or short DR).
18 > >> > >
19 > >> > > Totally amazed by the things which were "brandnew" those days
20 > >> > > (1985/1995) and are outclassed by any digital whristwatch nowadays I
21 > >> > > became curious about a more exact definition of "faster" in this
22 > >> > > area...
23 > >> > >
24 > >> > > Or in other words:
25 > >> > >
26 > >> > > Is it really true, that a mobile smartphone of today is as fast as
27 > >> > > a big iron of 1975?
28 > >> >
29 > >> > My understanding is that big iron's outstanding features were:
30 > >> > * Uptime
31 > >> > * Gobs and gobs and gobs of I/O. (Though I don't know the numbers)
32 > >> >
33 > >> > If you want to compare feature sets, be sure to include those. :)
34 > >> >
35 > >> > --
36 > >> > :wq
37 > >> >
38 > >>
39 > >> Thank you *VERY* much for those nice links!!! :) Great stuff!
40 > >>
41 > >> I know, that benchmarking is anything but science...but on the other
42 > >> hand: Knowing that a PDP-8 (which was newer than the PDP-7 on which
43 > >> Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson started to develop UNIX) had about
44 > >> 0.004 MWIPS and a current desktop PC has something like 3500 MWIPS
45 > >> let shine a total different, more brighter light to terms like
46 > >> "computer pioneers"... :)
47 > >>
48 > >> Those days a 'bit' was more a real thing than nowadays :)))
49 > >>
50 > >
51 > > Back in 'those days', cycle-counting is a must for all programmers.
52 > > Heck, as recent as 8088, programmers still do cycle-counting (especially
53 > > assembly programmers).
54 > >
55 > > Kids these days have it sooooooo much easier.
56 > >
57 > > Oh, and... get off my lawn! :-D
58 > >
59 > > Rgds,
62 > One of my colleagues at the lab still tells stories of the time when he
63 > set up a radio receiver in the canteen so he could hear the mainframe
64 > "buzz" on shortwave radio while his program was running. When the sound
65 > suddenly changed, he knew there was an error.
66 >
67 > Regards,
68 > Florian Philipp
71 Hi,
72
73 oh YEAH!
74
75 This is true computer magick! Really!
76 Somehow I miss that day, when little green bit from
77 outer space were little green bits from outer space,
78 and real programmers has gone where no man has been
79 gone before!
80
81 I started with an Atari 800. I had a "bible" called
82 "Mapping the Atari" which had described EVERY used memory
83 cell with its funtion and what you can do with it.
84 "Peek" and "Poke" was daily business, and GOTO was
85 crime at all.
86 Damn, one knows the function of nearly every chip in
87 this computer and it was possible even to write
88 assembly programs (it was the assembly code of the
89 graphics chip! NOT the CPU!) of the which get executed \
90 each vertical blank interrupt!
91
92 Somehow sad, that this time has gone.
93
94 (Am I getting older?)
95
96 Best regards,