From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] How fast was ... ?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 07:12:50
1 Am 27.10.2011 06:34, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
2 >
3 > On Oct 27, 2011 9:50 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de
4 > <mailto:meino.cramer@×××.de>> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com <mailto:mikemol@×××××.com>> [11-10-26
7 > 20:40]:
8 >> > On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de
9 > <mailto:meino.cramer@×××.de>> wrote:
10 >> > > Hi,
11 >> > >
12 >> > > On www.archive.org <http://www.archive.org> I found videos of the
13 > series "Computer Chronicle"
14 >> > > with Richard Cheifet and Gary Kildall (the inventor of CP/M and the
15 >> > > founder of Intergalactical Digital Research, later known as Digital
16 >> > > Research or short DR).
17 >> > >
18 >> > > Totally amazed by the things which were "brandnew" those days
19 >> > > (1985/1995) and are outclassed by any digital whristwatch nowadays I
20 >> > > became curious about a more exact definition of "faster" in this
21 >> > > area...
22 >> > >
23 >> > > Or in other words:
24 >> > >
25 >> > > Is it really true, that a mobile smartphone of today is as fast as
26 >> > > a big iron of 1975?
27 >> >
28 >> > My understanding is that big iron's outstanding features were:
29 >> > * Uptime
30 >> > * Gobs and gobs and gobs of I/O. (Though I don't know the numbers)
31 >> >
32 >> > If you want to compare feature sets, be sure to include those. :)
33 >> >
34 >> > --
35 >> > :wq
36 >> >
37 >>
38 >> Thank you *VERY* much for those nice links!!! :) Great stuff!
39 >>
40 >> I know, that benchmarking is anything but science...but on the other
41 >> hand: Knowing that a PDP-8 (which was newer than the PDP-7 on which
42 >> Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson started to develop UNIX) had about
43 >> 0.004 MWIPS and a current desktop PC has something like 3500 MWIPS
44 >> let shine a total different, more brighter light to terms like
45 >> "computer pioneers"... :)
46 >>
47 >> Those days a 'bit' was more a real thing than nowadays :)))
50 > Back in 'those days', cycle-counting is a must for all programmers.
51 > Heck, as recent as 8088, programmers still do cycle-counting (especially
52 > assembly programmers).
53 >
54 > Kids these days have it sooooooo much easier.
55 >
56 > Oh, and... get off my lawn! :-D
57 >
58 > Rgds,
61 One of my colleagues at the lab still tells stories of the time when he
62 set up a radio receiver in the canteen so he could hear the mainframe
63 "buzz" on shortwave radio while his program was running. When the sound
64 suddenly changed, he knew there was an error.
65
66 Regards,
67 Florian Philipp