From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Failed to connect to lvmetad
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 07:21:09
1 On Friday 24 Jun 2016 23:33:02 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2016-06-24 15:26 +0000, James wrote:
3 > > So I do not use 'lvm' on this system. So after adding net-misc/openntpd
4 > > and setting it up per the wiki, I got this strange message::
5 > >
6 > > # /etc/init.d/ntpd restart
7 > >
8 > > * Caching service dependencies ...
9 > >
10 > > File descriptor 3 (pipe:[25250801]) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID
11 > > 1159: /bin/sh
12 > >
13 > > /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
14 > > WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to internal
15 > > scanning.
16 > >
17 > > [ ok ]
18 > >
19 > > * Stopping OpenNTPD ...
20 > >
21 > > [ ok ]
22 > >
23 > > * Starting OpenNTPD ...
24 > >
25 > > [ ok ]
26 > >
27 > > Now it is gone.... A transient error as the system syncs to the gentoo
28 > > time servers?
29 >
30 > I was bootstrapping a new system yesterday and I had what may (or may
31 > not) be a related problem. "Something" in the boot sequence kept
32 > starting lvmetad, even though I disabled it in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf. Then
33 > when it was the turn of the lvm initscript it complained that lvmetad
34 > was "running but disabled". Nothing I did along the lines of killing
35 > the daemon, stopping the lvmetad and lvm scripts in either order,
36 > etc. seemed to help, it would happen again on next boot.
37 >
38 > Then it stopped, I don't really know why, and hasn't happened again.
39 >
40 > The lvm scripts seem to be housing some tiny invertebrate creatures.
41
42 I am sure I've seen this on at least one of my systems too. I cannot recall
43 what installed it. Not sure what is the proper way to disable it from
44 installing, or from running, but I haven't looked into it recently.
45 --
46 Regards,
47 Mick