From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Time to switch back to AMD?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 13:43:23
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> For several decades, I was a loyal AMD customer. But the last time I
4 >> upgraded my home desktop (2013), AMD just didn't seem to have anything
5 >> that could complete with the Core-i3/5 CPUs with integrated graphics.
6 >> The Intel HD-2500 GPU was plenty fast enough for everything I did back
7 >> then, so I went with an i3-3220T (2 cores, 4 threads), and have been
8 >> very happy with it (except for the security vulnerabilties). It even
9 >> handled it fine when I started working from home and added a second
10 >> monitor.
11 >>
12 >> But, after the last update to the Heli-X flight simulator, I did
13 >> notice that I'm bouncing off the rev-limiter on the GPU. In order to
14 >> get a reasonable frame rate and sort-of-smooth background panning I
15 >> had to dial-down or turn off all the configurable graphics features
16 >> (anti-aliasing, smoke, reflections, etc.). Even with all of the fancy
17 >> stuff turned off, it still sometimes struggles and the frame rate
18 >> drops to below 20.
19 >>
20 >> I thought about buying a video card. A $40-50 Radeon or NVidia card
21 >> would be more than enough GPU. In the past I've been burned by ATI
22 >> cards being abandoned within a year or two of purcase. Is AMD any
23 >> better about support? Of course, dealing with closed-source NVidia
24 >> drivers is also annoying.
25 >>
26 >> Also, the motherboard/CPU are almost 8 years old. Maybe it's time for
27 >> a new AMD Ryzen with an integrated GPU. Even the low-end sub-$100
28 >> Ryzen 3 with Vega 8 GPU would be a big jump in performance from the
29 >> current Intel HD 2500. For another $40, a Ryzen 5 with Vega 11 GPU
30 >> would completely outclass what I have now.
31 >>
32 >> How are the AMD "Wraith Stealth" fans? I've been using the fan that
33 >> came with the old Core-i3, and it gets a little annoying when it's
34 >> time to compile chromium (or when flying planes/helicopters).
35 >>
36 >> Any issues with Gentoo and Xorg on AMD integrated Vega 8/11 GPUs?
37 >>
38 >> AFAICT, the drivers are all open source, and it ought to "just work"
39 >> with recent kernels.
40 >>
41 >> Unfortunately, the capaciters on the existing motherboard are all
42 >> solid and probably aren't going to pop any time soon.
43 >
44 > So far, I've always bought AMD video cards too.
45 >
46 > Dale
47 >
51 That should be Nvidia based video cards.  I had AMD on my brain.  lol
52
53 Dale
54