From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Time to switch back to AMD?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 13:02:18
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > For several decades, I was a loyal AMD customer. But the last time I
3 > upgraded my home desktop (2013), AMD just didn't seem to have anything
4 > that could complete with the Core-i3/5 CPUs with integrated graphics.
5 > The Intel HD-2500 GPU was plenty fast enough for everything I did back
6 > then, so I went with an i3-3220T (2 cores, 4 threads), and have been
7 > very happy with it (except for the security vulnerabilties). It even
8 > handled it fine when I started working from home and added a second
9 > monitor.
10 >
11 > But, after the last update to the Heli-X flight simulator, I did
12 > notice that I'm bouncing off the rev-limiter on the GPU. In order to
13 > get a reasonable frame rate and sort-of-smooth background panning I
14 > had to dial-down or turn off all the configurable graphics features
15 > (anti-aliasing, smoke, reflections, etc.). Even with all of the fancy
16 > stuff turned off, it still sometimes struggles and the frame rate
17 > drops to below 20.
18 >
19 > I thought about buying a video card. A $40-50 Radeon or NVidia card
20 > would be more than enough GPU. In the past I've been burned by ATI
21 > cards being abandoned within a year or two of purcase. Is AMD any
22 > better about support? Of course, dealing with closed-source NVidia
23 > drivers is also annoying.
24 >
25 > Also, the motherboard/CPU are almost 8 years old. Maybe it's time for
26 > a new AMD Ryzen with an integrated GPU. Even the low-end sub-$100
27 > Ryzen 3 with Vega 8 GPU would be a big jump in performance from the
28 > current Intel HD 2500. For another $40, a Ryzen 5 with Vega 11 GPU
29 > would completely outclass what I have now.
30 >
31 > How are the AMD "Wraith Stealth" fans? I've been using the fan that
32 > came with the old Core-i3, and it gets a little annoying when it's
33 > time to compile chromium (or when flying planes/helicopters).
34 >
35 > Any issues with Gentoo and Xorg on AMD integrated Vega 8/11 GPUs?
36 >
37 > AFAICT, the drivers are all open source, and it ought to "just work"
38 > with recent kernels.
39 >
40 > Unfortunately, the capaciters on the existing motherboard are all
41 > solid and probably aren't going to pop any time soon.
42
43 I don't know if they still available but I have a Cooler Master HAF-932
44 case that has those large fans.  I also bought a much larger CPU cooler
45 than the tiny little toy that comes with CPUs.  It has a 140MM fan.
46 When I'm doing updates, I can't hear any of the fans even in a quiet
47 room with me sitting right beside it.
48
49 There may be other cases that have similar setups by now.  Those large
50 fans are very quiet but move a lot of air. Right now while the CPU is
51 idle, the CPU fan is running at about 1,000RPM.  The rear fan is also a
52 140mm running at 600RPMs.  The large fans are running at around 700RPMs
53 each.  I think the best idea is the top fan.  As we know, heat rises.
54 That top fan really pulls out some heat.  The side fan doesn't have a
55 RPM monitor but it appears to turn at about the same speed as the front
56 and top.  BTW, the front fans blows air across the hard drives.
57
58 At idle, CPU temp is about 100F.  Ambient in the case is about 85F.
59 Room temp is about 71F.  I'm guessing something warm is close to the
60 temp sensor on the mobo.  When I'm compiling and maxing out the CPUs, it
61 tends to run at about 124F.  If it hits 125F or so, I get my air blower
62 and blow out the dust.  While the fans do speed up, I still can't hear
63 anything.
64
65 This case supports water cooling systems but since I always buy large
66 CPU coolers and cases with a lot of fans, I've never seen the point of
67 water cooling.
68
69 I might add, other than systems someone gave me, I've never had a Intel
70 based system.  I always build systems with AMD CPUs.  So far, I've
71 always bought AMD video cards too.  I've read where some say ATI has
72 better support but I don't know myself.  Of course, I always buy older
73 cards so it doesn't matter much.  As with most anything, most problems
74 are with very new stuff that doesn't have good stable Linux drivers
75 yet.  One reason I try to get parts that are based on older tech.  Of
76 course, I don't play heavy duty games either.
77
78 I have a cousin that used to build a new system every couple years for
79 gaming.  Several years ago, they just started buying game boxes.  They
80 use their computer for email etc and use the game boxes for playing
81 games.  When needed, they buy new game boxes.  They say it makes things
82 a lot easier on them.  Tends to be cheaper too.
83
84 Just some thoughts you might want to ponder on.
85
86 Dale
87