From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cups is broken
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:56:23
1 On Sunday 26 February 2006 13:26, John Blinka <jblinka@××××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] cups is broken':
3 > Success at last! Here's what I did on the affected box:
4 >
5 > 1) emerge -C cups.
6 >
7 > After removing cups, I noted that the /etc/cups directory
8 > still existed with all of its old contents. None of it had
9 > been removed.
10 >
11 > 2) cd /etc/cups
12 > mv mime.types mime.types.old
13 > mv mime.convs mime.convs.old
14 >
15 > 3) emerge cups
16 >
17 > After this step, a new, different mime.types was installed.
18 > It was identical to the mime.types file on my unaffected systems.
19 >
20 > Previous attempts to do steps 1) and 3) above, but not 2) resulted
21 > in an unchanged, obsolete, and incorrect version of mime.types.
22
23 That's because /etc is CONFIG_PROTECT'd, right? Shouldn't you have gotten
24 some message about config files that needed updating? Or, is there some
25 special magic in the ebuild that was causing this problem?
26
27 In the last case, I'd wager a bug would be appropriate.
30 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
31 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
32 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
33 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list