From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Harddisk trouble ... or not yet?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 17:10:17
1 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> [10-05-26 17:19]:
2 > On 2010-05-26, meino.cramer@×××.de <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > > [...] I have two WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (pasted from
5 > > hdparm -i) harddisk (1TB, advanced format 4096 kb sectors).
6 > >[...]
7 > >
8 > > dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8192
9 > >
10 > > which gave me a LOT of I/O errors after a short time.
11 > >
12 > >[...]
13 > >
14 > > From what kernel version the new advanced format
15 > > of the hd is fully supported ?
16 >
17 > My understanding is that the new format doesn't cause I/O errors, just
18 > slower transfer rates if you format with disk clusters that aren't
19 > aligned on 4K boundaries. I'm not aware of any "support" in the
20 > kernel.
21 >
22 > > Are there other reasons -- beside defective hardware -- for
23 > > the failing dd and how can I fix them ?
24 >
25 > In my experience, I/O errors have always been hardware problems
26 > (usually a failing drive, but it could also be a faulty cable or
27 > connector).
28 >
29 > --
30 > Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! PIZZA!!
31 > at
32 > gmail.com
35 Hi
36
37 If it happens again, I will try to save the error list and post it
38 here...
39
40 May be: The WD-harddiscs are SATA2 my controllers are "only" SATA1...
41 is it this, which cause the problems?
42
43 Best regards,
44 mcc
47 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
48 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
49 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
50 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.