From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot up error messages. Init thingy needed now??
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 20:57:51
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> My partitions are something like this. Normal partitions, /boot and
4 >> root itself. /usr and /var on LVM.
5 > Gentoo dropped support for booting without mounting /usr early in boot
6 > a while back. That isn't to say that it would have instantly stopped
7 > working, but there is no requirement for package maintainers to
8 > support this configuration, and many upstreams have been moving in
9 > directions that will tend to break this.
10 >
11 > There are many ways to get around this. The most common is to mount
12 > /usr from your initramfs. Another option is to run a script early
13 > during boot to mount /usr, ensuring that the necessary tools to do so
14 > are on your root partition. Another option is to put /usr on your
15 > root partition. I'm sure there are other options as well, but in
16 > general you can't always rely on your root partition being able to
17 > mount /usr these days.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Rich
24 Yea, I went through this before. Thing is tho, those init thingys have
25 a history of screwing up with me even before I started using Gentoo. It
26 was one reason I switched distros. I was using Mandrake before Gentoo.
27 When I tried a while back, the init thingy failed and I couldn't boot
28 with it. Once I got it working, I didn't even touch it again. No clue
29 why it stopped working even tho it worked for a while. At some point,
30 it'll fail and I can't boot either way, with or without a init thingy.
31 At that point, it could be new distro time. I like Gentoo but as I have
32 said before, when a OS stops suiting my needs, like booting up, then
33 I'll switch. This computer is a doorstop when the OS doesn't boot.
34
35 I've made some progress but the latest dracut won't include the stuff it
36 needs so I had to go back to a older version. No clue why the old one
37 will work and the new one won't. I've played with the config files but
38 the new one is persistent on not including what I need.
39
40 [ebuild U ~] sys-kernel/dracut-040-r3 [034-r4] USE="-debug
41 (-selinux) -systemd% (-device-mapper%*) (-net%)"
42 DRACUT_MODULES="(-biosdevname%) (-bootchart%) (-btrfs%) (-caps%)
43 (-cifs%) (-crypt%) (-crypt-gpg%) (-crypt-loop%) (-dash%) (-dmraid%)
44 (-dmsquash-live%) (-gensplash%) (-iscsi%) (-livenet%) (-lvm%) (-mdraid%)
45 (-multipath%) (-nbd%) (-nfs%) (-plymouth%) (-ssh-client%) (-syslog%)
46 (-systemd%)" 0 KiB
47
48 [ebuild R ~] sys-kernel/dracut-034-r4 USE="device-mapper -debug
49 -net (-selinux)" DRACUT_MODULES="lvm* -biosdevname -bootchart -btrfs
50 -caps -cifs -crypt -crypt-gpg -crypt-loop -dash -dmraid -dmsquash-live
51 -gensplash -iscsi -livenet -mdraid -multipath -nbd -nfs -plymouth
52 -ssh-client -syslog -systemd" 0 KiB
53
54 Top one seems to leave out lvm no matter what and the bottom includes
55 them just fine. Old one it is, which puts me behind from the get go.
56 Before I reboot again, going to update some install DVDs. ;-)
57
58 Dale
59