From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot up error messages. Init thingy needed now??
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 20:13:45
1 On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My partitions are something like this. Normal partitions, /boot and
3 > root itself. /usr and /var on LVM.
4
5 Gentoo dropped support for booting without mounting /usr early in boot
6 a while back. That isn't to say that it would have instantly stopped
7 working, but there is no requirement for package maintainers to
8 support this configuration, and many upstreams have been moving in
9 directions that will tend to break this.
10
11 There are many ways to get around this. The most common is to mount
12 /usr from your initramfs. Another option is to run a script early
13 during boot to mount /usr, ensuring that the necessary tools to do so
14 are on your root partition. Another option is to put /usr on your
15 root partition. I'm sure there are other options as well, but in
16 general you can't always rely on your root partition being able to
17 mount /usr these days.
20 Rich