From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot up error messages. Init thingy needed now??
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 12:59:26
1 On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> My partitions are something like this. Normal partitions, /boot and
5 >> root itself. /usr and /var on LVM.
6 >
7 > Gentoo dropped support for booting without mounting /usr early in boot
8 > a while back. That isn't to say that it would have instantly stopped
9 > working, but there is no requirement for package maintainers to
10 > support this configuration, and many upstreams have been moving in
11 > directions that will tend to break this.
12 >
13 > There are many ways to get around this. The most common is to mount
14 > /usr from your initramfs. Another option is to run a script early
15 > during boot to mount /usr, ensuring that the necessary tools to do so
16 > are on your root partition. Another option is to put /usr on your
17 > root partition. I'm sure there are other options as well, but in
18 > general you can't always rely on your root partition being able to
19 > mount /usr these days.
20
21 FTR, there's also a busybox "sep-usr" USE flag.
22
23 It installs a static busybox at "/ginit".
24
25 When you use "init=/ginit" at the kernel cmdline, it mounts "/usr"
26 early and then executes "/sbin/init".