From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot up error messages. Init thingy needed now??
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 19:25:14
1 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Howdy,
5 >>
6 >> I had a drive to fail and removed it. When booting back up, I noticed
7 >> these errors flying by at close to warp speed. I dug in the log to see
8 >> what they were about. I hope this pastes in a readable way.
9 >>
10 >> /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
11 >> * Starting lvmetad ... [ ok ]
12 >> /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
13 >> * Setting up the Logical Volume Manager ...
14 >> /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
15 >> WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to internal scanning.
16 >> [ ok ]
17 >> /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
18 >> /etc/init.d/device-mapper: line 64: awk: command not found
19 >> /etc/init.d/device-mapper: line 65: uniq: command not found
20 >> /etc/init.d/device-mapper: line 64: awk: command not found
21 >> /etc/init.d/device-mapper: line 65: uniq: command not found
22 >> /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
23 >>
24 >> << SNIP >>
25 >>
26 >> /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
27 >> /etc/init.d/chronyd: line 30: awk: command not found
28 >> * Starting chronyd ...
29 >> * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/chronyd does not exist
30 >> * Failed to start chronyd
31 >> [ !! ]
32 >> * ERROR: chronyd failed to start
33 >> /bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF8)
36 >> I had it set to run fsck on all file systems so I snipped that part
37 >> out. It's just clutter for what I am needing to know. Anyway, when I
38 >> got booted up, the chrony process did not start. The LVM stuff did
39 >> retry later but who knows how long it will be before that changes. LVM
40 >> and chrony seems to be having a issue with not having awk, uniq and
41 >> such. The setlocale error has been around since like forever. I don't
42 >> guess it matters to much. :-D
43 >>
44 >> Does it appear that LVM is going to require a init thingy to get a clean
45 >> boot or is it something else? I sorta hope it is something else. That
46 >> init thingy is not a path I want to go down again. May switch away from
47 >> LVM and try something else.
48 >>
49 >> Oh, I am using evdev.
50 >>
51 >> Thoughts??
52 > Are you sure /usr was mounted? If its on a separate lvm volume, I would
53 > definitely use an initrd, as various tools assume /usr is mounted these
54 > days -- the init thingy can do that for you.
57 My partitions are something like this. Normal partitions, /boot and
58 root itself. /usr and /var on LVM. Those are on one drive. I also
59 have /home on LVM on its own drive. At that point, I'm pretty sure /usr
60 wasn't mounted. I think / and /boot were only mounted ro too. It was
61 somewhat early in the boot process.
62
63 I'm trying to build one following the wiki. So far, nothing. I got
64 some neato error messages tho. So far, nothing in /boot that look
65 inity. This is why I don't like these things. I finally got one to
66 build a long time ago and it booted several times. Then one day, the
67 init thingy failed. I edited grub and booted without the init thingy
68 and it booted fine. When I tried again, the init failed again just like
69 before so I booted without it and then deleted the thing since it didn't
70 work anyway. That was the last time I had one on here.
71
72 This could get fun. I figure I will be very pissed before the day is
73 over. This could be a hal type situation. Old timers know what that
74 means.
75
76 Dale
77