From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install, I still can't send email. Same error too.
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:25:07
1 On Wednesday 18 January 2006 03:27, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:17:29 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 > > " An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
4 > > 5.7.1 <whatever email address I am trying to send to> Relaying denied.
5 > > Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail
6 > > preferences and try again."
7 > >
8 > > To recap a bit. I have a problem sending email to anyone outside my
9 > > ISPs network. I can't send to a yahoo, or my brothers Bell South
10 > > account and some others too.
11 >
12 > Your ISP's mail server thinks you are connecting from outside their
13 > network, so it only allows you to send mails to addresses within the
14 > network (that's the Relaying denied bit). There's nothing wrong with your
15 > network connections, because KMail works, so it must be down to your
16 > Mozilla config. Some ISPs also check the domain part of your email
17 > address, is that set the same in Mozilla and KMail?
20 Yup. I get the same error even if I just switch desktops and don't even
21 disconnect and reconnect my modem. I have got the same error once or twice
22 on the old OS with Kmail too. It was just a few times though.
23
24 What gets me is this, I did a fresh install and copied over my /home directory
25 and /etc as well. Everything else was new. It still does not work.
26
27 Here is the kicker. On my new install, Mozilla will no longer open, just like
28 on the old OS.
29
30 I have a few questions that I would like you to think about. I upgraded gcc,
31 then upgraded KDE to 3.5 and had to upgrade my kernel when I did the KDE
32 upgrade. Can all that have something to do with this? I'm considering doing
33 another install and not use the new gcc, a older kernel, and KDE 3.4 just to
34 see if it would work then.
35
36 This is really wrecking my brain. I have no clue what is wrong. I booted the
37 Gentoo CD and ran memtest86 and got several passes with not one single error.
38 My CPU runs as cool as some with water cooling so I don't think this is
39 hardware. It's hard for me to beleive that I can have two drives from
40 different manufacturors going out at the same time either.
41
42 Now to go back and answer Hollys email.
43
44 Any ideas? Me clueless.
45
46 Dale