From: Eddie Mihalow Jr <stimpy56@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install, I still can't send email. Same error too.
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:22:39
1 Dale wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 January 2006 03:27, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:17:29 -0600, Dale wrote:
4 >>> " An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
5 >>> 5.7.1 <whatever email address I am trying to send to> Relaying denied.
6 >>> Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail
7 >>> preferences and try again."
8 >>>
9 >>> To recap a bit. I have a problem sending email to anyone outside my
10 >>> ISPs network. I can't send to a yahoo, or my brothers Bell South
11 >>> account and some others too.
12 >> Your ISP's mail server thinks you are connecting from outside their
13 >> network, so it only allows you to send mails to addresses within the
14 >> network (that's the Relaying denied bit). There's nothing wrong with your
15 >> network connections, because KMail works, so it must be down to your
16 >> Mozilla config. Some ISPs also check the domain part of your email
17 >> address, is that set the same in Mozilla and KMail?
20 > Yup. I get the same error even if I just switch desktops and don't even
21 > disconnect and reconnect my modem. I have got the same error once or twice
22 > on the old OS with Kmail too. It was just a few times though.
23 >
24 > What gets me is this, I did a fresh install and copied over my /home directory
25 > and /etc as well. Everything else was new. It still does not work.
26 >
27 > Here is the kicker. On my new install, Mozilla will no longer open, just like
28 > on the old OS.
29 >
30 > I have a few questions that I would like you to think about. I upgraded gcc,
31 > then upgraded KDE to 3.5 and had to upgrade my kernel when I did the KDE
32 > upgrade. Can all that have something to do with this? I'm considering doing
33 > another install and not use the new gcc, a older kernel, and KDE 3.4 just to
34 > see if it would work then.
35 >
36 > This is really wrecking my brain. I have no clue what is wrong. I booted the
37 > Gentoo CD and ran memtest86 and got several passes with not one single error.
38 > My CPU runs as cool as some with water cooling so I don't think this is
39 > hardware. It's hard for me to beleive that I can have two drives from
40 > different manufacturors going out at the same time either.
41 >
42 > Now to go back and answer Hollys email.
43 >
44 > Any ideas? Me clueless.
45 >
46 > Dale
47 > :-(
48 Maybe try Firefox and Thunderbird as your browser and email client?
49 Evidently something is
50 wrong with how Mozilla is configured and maybe deleting any and all
51 /home/dale/.mozilla
52 folders is called for. Since you have already went through a new install
53 and really did a good job of
54 trouble-shooting, I would say your email client is the problem and/or
55 ISP. I have bellsouth
56 and have never had any of the problems you have encountered.
57
58 Happy Hacking,
61 Edward A Mihalow Jr
62 Gentoo! Linux