From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoos community communication rant
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:14:42
1 On Tuesday 07 September 2010, Al wrote:
2 > > Al,
3 > >
4 > > Do everyone a favor. Go use Gmane and tell us what exactly
5 > > you'd be able to do that Gmane does not already do.
6 > > It's archived, search-able (via keywords) and many, many
7 > > other very cool features.
8 >
9 > I do you favour and confirm that it is a very cool web interface to
10 > newsgroups. It is especially usefull if you have to switch between
11 > machines. It is good that they mirror the gentoo mailing lists and
12 > give them an archive. As long as you work from the same desktop a
13 > classical newsreader seems still more comfortable to me.
14 >
15 > However, my concern was why the Gentoo community doesn't make use of
16 > those cool features and officially only advertises and keeps a mailing
17 > list, that has no history itself for example and how this approach
18 > influences and limits the culture of communication.
19 >
20 > Al
21
22 wow, do you get paid for posting so much crap?
23
24 'Cool features'... 'no history', 'limits the culture of communication'.
25 No, no and no.
26
27 Wrong on all three. The mailing lists exist since the first days of gentoo.
28 Almost all questions asked can be answered by a quick look into the archives.
29 For some reason most people don't use archives.
30
31 And the fucking same is true with news. The only 'advantage' of news are:
32 more work for some poor sod responsible to keep the crap running.