From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Delays while building Libre Office.
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 18:48:03
1 On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 01:15:58PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On 05/02/2013 12:58 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > > On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 12:33:37PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
4 > >> On 05/02/2013 12:27 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > >>> Hi, Gentoo.
6
7 > >>> I've just built libreoffice-3.6.6.2 and it took 2 hours 10
8 > >>> minutes on my 2.6 GHz quad core Athlon 2. It used to take about
9 > >>> an hour.
10
11 > >>> Watching the build, it became evident that the first 50 minutes
12 > >>> or so was taken up by several hundred mkdir operations (more
13 > >>> precisely, mkdir -p <long path>). Some of these mkdir's would
14 > >>> take, perhaps, a minute to execute. All the while, top showed
15 > >>> make taking 100% of one core.
16
17 > >>> There seems to be something suboptimal here. Has anybody else
18 > >>> seen this, or does anybody have any ideas how to fix the
19 > >>> problem?
20
21 > >> Long delays suggest a timeout of some sort.
22
23 > > OK. As a matter of interest, some of the mkdirs executed relatively
24 > > quickly - perhaps in 0.5 seconds. I never saw the screen whizzing by
25 > > as I ought to have done, though.
26
27 > Hm.
30 > >> First thing I'd look at is the filesystem underneath, and the disk
31 > >> underneath that.
32
33 > > My /var is an ext3 LVM partition, doubled up on a RAID-1 disk array.
34
35 > How full is the ext3 partition? What options do you have enabled on it?
36 > (e.g. dir indexing?)
37
38 root@acm ~ # df /var
39 Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
40 /dev/mapper/vg-var 12385456 1959860 9796580 17% /var
41
42 > > In the middle of the mkdiring, I checked there were enough inodes
43 > > free (there were). I've no reason to suspect the disk drives might
44 > > be flaky.
45
46 > Well, you kinda do, now;
47
48 The reason I say this is that building the last ?one/two/three versions
49 of libreoffice also gave me this grief, but I haven't noticed anything
50 else amiss.
51
52 > you have evidence that at least some disk access is unusually slow.
53 > Check dmesg for disk I/O errors (unlikely to be reported at this point;
54
55 Nothing awry in dmesg.
56
57 > I'm sure you checked whether your RAID was in a degraded state),
58
59 cat /proc/mdstat shows everything in order.
60
61 > and run commanded smartctl tests on the disks.
62
63 That I haven't done, yet.
64
65 > >> Second thing I'd look at is to see if permissions checks might be
66 > >> bouncing through something like kerberos, samba or ldap. Do you
67 > >> have any single-signon things configured on that machine?
68
69 > > I've not got kerberos or samba installed. I appear to have ldap
70 > > (whatever that might be ;-). ls -lurt /usr/bin/ldap* shows these
71 > > binaries were last accessed (?used) on 2012-03-14.
72
73 > It would be more a question of whether they were tied into PAM.
74
75 OK. I'm sadly ignorant about PAM. :-(
76
77 > > What exactly do you mean by "single-signon"?
78
79 > Well, that was a slip of the tongue. More "central auth". I was
80 > wondering if there were any features installed on your system that are
81 > designed to check authorization against a server somewhere. (i.e. you
82 > can use an LDAP directory to centrally manage things like users, groups,
83 > etc.)
84
85 Not that I know of. My machine is a mere desktop connected via a
86 router/modem to the net. I'd have no reason to install any auth stuff.
87
88 > Technically, single-signon combines authorization checks with persistent
89 > authentication checks. Examples of this include kerberos, web session
90 > cookies and some uses of OAuth; once you're authenticated, the mechanism
91 > ensures you don't need to authenticate to another server in the same
92 > auth realm so long as your existing session hasn't expired. But this is
93 > less likely to be related to your problem than something seeking to ask
94 > a server if you have authorization to access something.
95
96 If this were the case, what would libreoffice's build need to ask that no
97 other package stumbles over?
100 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).