From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Delays while building Libre Office.
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 17:16:50
1 On 05/02/2013 12:58 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 12:33:37PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On 05/02/2013 12:27 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >>> Hi, Gentoo.
5 >
6 >>> I've just built libreoffice-3.6.6.2 and it took 2 hours 10
7 >>> minutes on my 2.6 GHz quad core Athlon 2. It used to take about
8 >>> an hour.
9 >
10 >>> Watching the build, it became evident that the first 50 minutes
11 >>> or so was taken up by several hundred mkdir operations (more
12 >>> precisely, mkdir -p <long path>). Some of these mkdir's would
13 >>> take, perhaps, a minute to execute. All the while, top showed
14 >>> make taking 100% of one core.
15 >
16 >>> There seems to be something suboptimal here. Has anybody else
17 >>> seen this, or does anybody have any ideas how to fix the
18 >>> problem?
19 >
20 >> Long delays suggest a timeout of some sort.
21 >
22 > OK. As a matter of interest, some of the mkdirs executed relatively
23 > quickly - perhaps in 0.5 seconds. I never saw the screen whizzing by
24 > as I ought to have done, though.
25
26 Hm.
29 >> First thing I'd look at is the filesystem underneath, and the disk
30 >> underneath that.
31 >
32 > My /var is an ext3 LVM partition, doubled up on a RAID-1 disk array.
33
34 How full is the ext3 partition? What options do you have enabled on it?
35 (e.g. dir indexing?)
38 > In the middle of the mkdiring, I checked there were enough inodes
39 > free (there were). I've no reason to suspect the disk drives might
40 > be flaky.
41
42 Well, you kinda do, now; you have evidence that at least some disk
43 access is unusually slow. Check dmesg for disk I/O errors (unlikely to
44 be reported at this point; I'm sure you checked whether your RAID was in
45 a degraded state), and run commanded smartctl tests on the disks.
48 >> Second thing I'd look at is to see if permissions checks might be
49 >> bouncing through something like kerberos, samba or ldap. Do you
50 >> have any single-signon things configured on that machine?
51 >
52 > I've not got kerberos or samba installed. I appear to have ldap
53 > (whatever that might be ;-). ls -lurt /usr/bin/ldap* shows these
54 > binaries were last accessed (?used) on 2012-03-14.
55
56 It would be more a question of whether they were tied into PAM.
59 > What exactly do you mean by "single-signon"?
60
61 Well, that was a slip of the tongue. More "central auth". I was
62 wondering if there were any features installed on your system that are
63 designed to check authorization against a server somewhere. (i.e. you
64 can use an LDAP directory to centrally manage things like users, groups,
65 etc.)
66
67 Technically, single-signon combines authorization checks with persistent
68 authentication checks. Examples of this include kerberos, web session
69 cookies and some uses of OAuth; once you're authenticated, the mechanism
70 ensures you don't need to authenticate to another server in the same
71 auth realm so long as your existing session hasn't expired. But this is
72 less likely to be related to your problem than something seeking to ask
73 a server if you have authorization to access something.