From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Delays while building Libre Office.
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:58:57
1 On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 12:33:37PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On 05/02/2013 12:27 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > > Hi, Gentoo.
4
5 > > I've just built libreoffice-3.6.6.2 and it took 2 hours 10 minutes on my
6 > > 2.6 GHz quad core Athlon 2. It used to take about an hour.
7
8 > > Watching the build, it became evident that the first 50 minutes or so
9 > > was taken up by several hundred mkdir operations (more precisely, mkdir
10 > > -p <long path>). Some of these mkdir's would take, perhaps, a minute to
11 > > execute. All the while, top showed make taking 100% of one core.
12
13 > > There seems to be something suboptimal here. Has anybody else seen
14 > > this, or does anybody have any ideas how to fix the problem?
15
16 > Long delays suggest a timeout of some sort.
17
18 OK. As a matter of interest, some of the mkdirs executed relatively
19 quickly - perhaps in 0.5 seconds. I never saw the screen whizzing by as
20 I ought to have done, though.
21
22 > First thing I'd look at is the filesystem underneath, and the disk
23 > underneath that.
24
25 My /var is an ext3 LVM partition, doubled up on a RAID-1 disk array. In
26 the middle of the mkdiring, I checked there were enough inodes free
27 (there were). I've no reason to suspect the disk drives might be flaky.
28
29 > Second thing I'd look at is to see if permissions checks might be
30 > bouncing through something like kerberos, samba or ldap. Do you have any
31 > single-signon things configured on that machine?
32
33 I've not got kerberos or samba installed. I appear to have ldap
34 (whatever that might be ;-). ls -lurt /usr/bin/ldap* shows these
35 binaries were last accessed (?used) on 2012-03-14.
36
37 What exactly do you mean by "single-signon"?
40 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).