From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Delays while building Libre Office.
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:33:58
1 On 05/02/2013 12:27 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > I've just built libreoffice-3.6.6.2 and it took 2 hours 10 minutes on my
5 > 2.6 GHz quad core Athlon 2. It used to take about an hour.
6 >
7 > Watching the build, it became evident that the first 50 minutes or so
8 > was taken up by several hundred mkdir operations (more precisely, mkdir
9 > -p <long path>). Some of these mkdir's would take, perhaps, a minute to
10 > execute. All the while, top showed make taking 100% of one core.
11 >
12 > There seems to be something suboptimal here. Has anybody else seen
13 > this, or does anybody have any ideas how to fix the problem?
14
15 Long delays suggest a timeout of some sort.
16
17 First thing I'd look at is the filesystem underneath, and the disk
18 underneath that.
19
20 Second thing I'd look at is to see if permissions checks might be
21 bouncing through something like kerberos, samba or ldap. Do you have any
22 single-signon things configured on that machine?