From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device - kernel panic
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 02:06:41
1 On 5/24/07, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I have an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
3 > processor. One Seagate SATA drive. An IDE CD-RW. Pretty much all
4 > the controllers on the board are Intel.
5 >
6 > I did re-set the clock, after which the make stopped complaining.
7 >
8 > One concern I have - when I configure the kernel, I fail to see where
9 > libata option is for the SATA driver... I scoured the whole
10 > menuconfig a few times but for some reason get the feeling like there
11 > are some options missing or something. I just recently set up a
12 > Gentoo box on another machine, and kernel config gave me no problems
13 > whatsoever, unlike now. That time I did it, I remember seeing the
14 > libata option in the kernel, and now I don't see it... I think it's
15 > the same kernel version 2.6.20-r8 that I installed on my other box.
16 > Maybe I'm just going nuts (which I am).
17 > --
18
19 In newer kernels the SATA options have been moved.
20
21 Enter make menuconfig and type
22
23 / SATA
24
25 It will show you the SATA options and tell you how they are
26 configured. It will also give hints as to where to find these options.
27
28 Good luck,
29 Mark
30 --