From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cdrecord - devname - was burning a dvd+r dl...
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 21:50:49
1 KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > I am sorry for my bad English.
4 > I used to run all my cdrecord commands as user. I am unable to run the
5 > command in the format using dev=scsibus,target,lun as user (I can do so
6 > as root), but I am able to burn a cd as user when using dev=/dev/cdrom.
7
8 If the first method only works as root, you did not install cdrecord correctly.
9 You need to install it suid root. If you are able to burn using dev=/dev/cdrom,
10 there may be a security hole in your system. In any case, this way you cannot
11 send all needed SCSI command to your drive as without root permission, the
12 Linux kernel silently filters away some of the SCSI commands needed by cdrecord.
13
14 > With the first method the average write speed seems to be much faster
15 > than with the second one.
16
17 The first method is the official one. There is absolutely no garantee that the
18 second method works at all.
19
20 > I just wander if this is normal behavior. I always followed
21 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_a_DVD:Burn where it says:
22 > "[snip]Replace /<device>/ with your dvd device (for example
23 > /dev/dvd)[snip]" So the wiki seems to be wrong, isn't it?
24
25 This is wrong. The official supported method is to use dev=b,t,l
26
27 Jörg
30 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
31 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)