From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: new printer suggestions?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 20:48:14
1 On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> For my Brother printers, having net-print/cups and
5 >> net-print/foomatic-filters, is sufficient. I'm not doing anything with
6 >> scanning or the like, though.
9 > Michael,
10 >
11 > Are you saying that you were able to print to your brother printers by
12 > more or less following these steps:
13 > 1. buy a computer, install gentoo
14 > 2. buy a brother printer, plug it into computer via usb
15 > 3. emerge net-print/cups and net-print/foomatic-filters
16 > 4. Visit the local cups webpage, add new printer, select "brother"
17 > 5. print
18 >
19 > Notably missing from my list is a visit to brother's website (or any
20 > other website) to download drivers/binaries/confs/etc.
21
22 More or less. The Brother printers happen to be attached to a Debian
23 box, but the Gentoo box doesn't require any additional drivers in
24 order to feed the content to the Debian box over IPP. (And the Debian
25 box isn't doing any PCL->Brother or PostScript->Brother translation.)
28 :wq