From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which kernel ??? 2.4 or 2.6
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:17:37
1 Collins Richey wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:09:20 +0100, pat <pat@××××××××.org> wrote:
6 >>Hi All,
7 >>
8 >>I have question. Which kernel is better 2.4 or 2.6 ??? I want to install
9 >>Gentoo 2004.3 and I'm new to Gentoo.
13 >There isn't a simple answer to that question. 2.6 has new features and
14 >may break a very few components. 2.4 works just fine.
15 >
16 >If you want to start with 2.6, there is a separate bootstrap26.sh
17 >procedure for doing that from a stage1 install. There could be some
18 >problems. Check forums or this list archives for more information.
21 from 2004.3
22
23 bootstrap26.sh is no more there
24
25 >OTOH, as a new user, you may want to stick with the standard 2.4
26 >instructions and reserve building a 2.6 kernel for a later date after
27 >you have a running system and after you have become more familiar with
28 >gentoo. Gentoo has not yet switched over to 2.6 for the standad
29 >install.
30 >
31 >I'm not trying to discourage you, and I did indeed install a 2.6
32 >kernel at my initial install, but you need to be prepared to recover
33 >from potential unusual problems if you take that approach.
37 >>And is it necessary to have nptl install for 2.6 kernel ??? I think yea,
38 >>but I want to be shure.
43 >Unless you are running highly thread-intensive applications (java,
44 >maybe), you probably won't notice much difference with or without
45 >nptl. You can run 2.6 with or without nptl, but it is necessary to be
46 >running a 2.6 kernel to enable nptl. If you are intending to do that
47 >from the initial install, you need to select the smp kernel when
48 >booting from the LiveCD, since the default kernel on the LiveCD is
49 >still 2.4.
52 also this is changed. Booting kerne is gentoo-dev-sources (2.6.9 seems
53 to remember)
54
55 >After you are up and running, do this:
56 >
57 >1. emerge a 2.6 kernel source, build a kernel, and boot from that kernel.
58 >2. emerge -C linux24-headers
59 >3. emerge linux26-headers
60 >4. set USE="nptl" or USE="nptlonly"
63 set both ??? I remember problems compiling mysql applying only USE="nptl"
64
65 >5. emerge glibc
66 >6. you may need to emerge a few additional packages if anything stops working.
67 >
68 >Good luck and welcome to gentoo. If you don't understand any of this,
69 >try searching the forum entries, then ask more questions.
73 welcome from me too
76 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list