From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should I install pulseaudio to solve my phonon audio problems?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 03:21:48
1 On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM, João Matos <jaoneto@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi list.
3 >
4 > The KDE phonon can't work properly when I plug a USB audio card (like a
5 > webcam with microphone) neither recognize my bluetooth headset.
6 >
7 > When I used to try to use my webcam microphone, phonon got lost every time
8 > I've reboot the system. It always asked me to forget the devices, as if
9 > there were new sound cards every time the system rebooted. It also wasn't
10 > able to decide which should be the default sound card. Sometimes it guessed
11 > correctly, most the time not. Other problems: when kde had the control of a
12 > device, none application outside kde were able to use it, as skype or
13 > mplayer.
14 >
15 > The solution I found then was to disable the support from my webcam's audio
16 > card on kernel. Without the USB card support, my system get back to normal
17 > behavior and I was able to use the webcam. Of course, it was kinda extreme.
18 >
19 > So, I was wondering if use pulseaudio should fix it, but I'm not sure if it
20 > can help. What do you think?
21 >
22 > Any help will be appreciated.
23
24 I've been using GNOME + PulseAudio since the later become stable in
25 Gentoo. Could not be more happy: my usecase is very similar to yours:
26 I have a BT headset, and a pair of USB speakers, which include a sound
27 card. With PulseAudio, the USB speakers works automagically; I don't
28 need to do anything, and I can change with a click where the audio
29 goes out, either the included speakers, or the USB ones. With the BT
30 headset I just need to pair it in the GNOME Bluetooth settings, and
31 it's the same, I can change where the audio streams go with one click,
32 and also set it per application.
33
34 I also use PA in my Media Center, and the audio quality is... pretty
35 much the same that without PA, but you get a lot of benefits.
36
37 Just take in mind that I use GNOME; I do not know how different (if at
38 all) it will be with KDE.
39
40 Regards.
41 --