From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia update problems
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 15:53:21
1 On 01/02/2011 03:51 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday 31 December 2010 12:52:08 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >
4 >> When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen I get a
5 >> blinking cursor in the top-[left] of a blank screen. An emerge of
6 >> nvidia-drivers enables me to restart kdm and get a proper screen. This
7 >> is in spite of not having been able to unload the old nvidia module
8 >> because it was "in use".
9 >
10 > It looks as though the boot sequence is going wrong somehow, because
11 > when I get my initial blank screen, if I then switch to a VT and restart
12 > xdm, everything works as expected.
13
14 Just for clarification, are you saying that you can do that even without
15 re-emerging nvidia-drivers?
16
17 So, when you first switch to the VT, the nvidia module is already loaded?
18 Is there an X session already running before you restart kdm? (I don't
19 use any of *dm, so I don't know if they are X apps that require X to be
20 running before they can write to the screen.)