From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia update problems
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 09:59:24
1 On Sunday 02 January 2011 15:51:24 walt wrote:
2 > On 01/02/2011 03:51 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > It looks as though the boot sequence is going wrong somehow,
4 > > because when I get my initial blank screen, if I then switch to a
5 > > VT and restart xdm, everything works as expected.
6 >
7 > Just for clarification, are you saying that you can do that even
8 > without re-emerging nvidia-drivers?
9
10 Exactly so - without doing anything other than restarting KDM. This is
11 an ~amd64 box, by the way.
12
13 > So, when you first switch to the VT, the nvidia module is already
14 > loaded?
15
16 Yes; without it I wouldn't see a blinking cursor. I think the raster
17 would be absent too if nothing were driving the hardware. The boot
18 sequence is complete.
19
20 > Is there an X session already running before you restart
21 > kdm? (I don't use any of *dm, so I don't know if they are X apps
22 > that require X to be running before they can write to the screen.)
23
24 As far as I know, KDM starts X itself. At VT4 (which I use habitually
25 for root logins) I issue the command:
26
27 $ /etc/init.d/xdm restart && logout
28
29 which starts the KDM session as normal.
32 Rgds
33 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.