From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mii-tool on Dell 2850 with 10/100/1000 ports
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:46:25
1 Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
2 > Frank,
3 >
4 > You are not supposed to statically configure hubs and switches. I
5 > don't know what the problem is - however, please be sure that the
6 > hub/switch is set to auto-sense. If you cannot get a connection
7 > established that way, please try the cable etc. I would also recommend
8 > following the other suggestion of emerging the later tools.
11 What Joshua says. I missed that in the original email. Linux more so
12 than Solaris, which isn't that great either, seems to go out of it's way
13 to get the wrong setting when you hard set a switch port to full duplex.
14 Don't know if that's a switch thing or a Linux thing. Setting auto
15 negotiate works best these days though there is quite a bit of
16 documentation that says the opposite from 4-6 years ago when that wasn't
17 always the case.
18
19 kashani
20 --