From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Showing "reverse" dependencies
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 15:17:57
1 On Sunday 09 November 2008 12:41:04 Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > > Just be aware that equery depends is somewhat broken
3 > >
4 > > It lists dependencies in the tree, not dependencies a specific machine is
5 > > using. Plus it doesn't find some valid deps either.
6 > >
7 > > It's still useful, but the user also has to use eix to determine which
8 > > deps are valid for them and which are not.
9 >
10 > well , what about dep?
11 >
12 > from dep manpage
13 >
14 >          -l, --depends      (default) List dependencies of PACKAGE
15 >          -L, --rev-depends  List reverse dependencies of PACKAGE
16 >
17 > show try dep -l amarok and you will get amarok dependencies .
18 > Or try dep -L amarok and you will get the packages that depend on amarok
19 >
20 > Sorry If I understand your question wrong
21
22 Interesting command. I didn't even know of it till I read your post, so I
23 can't comment on whether it works well or not.
24
25 equery on the other hand, is known to give accurate answers to a question the
26 user normally did not ask. i.e. it doesn't really do what users wish it did.
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com