From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 17:12:19
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Steven Lembark wrote:
3 >>
4 >> > Well, this one takes longer. Just the foldingathome takes about 20
5 >> > seconds or more to shutdown. It can take over 60 seconds at times.
6 >> > That service for some reason has to completely shutdown before the
7 >> > others start to shutdown. The others will shutdown in parallel like I
8 >> > have set up. Then there is all the other services that have to stop.
9 >> > Quite literally, I only had seconds to shutdown since the P/S was
10 >> > stinking like a skunk. I just needed to umnount the file systems and
11 >> > power off as fast as possible. I didn't want to just pull the plug but
12 >> > I needed a shutdown that fast.
13 >>
14 >> Hackint the shutdowns to background the shutdown
15 >> op and return is usually pretty simple -- don't know
16 >> why more app's don't do that by default.
17 >>
18 >> 'halt' will get you down with little typing if you
19 >> want to bypass the init scripts; so will "kill -TERM 1".
20 >> Add a 'sync' before either of them and you'll probably
21 >> be able to come up with minimal trouble.
24 > What's the difference between halt command and shutdown? I thought they
25 > were basically the same thing.
26 >
27 > Also, in case you missed it. I have a service, foldingathome, that
28 > takes a while to stop and no other service can be stopped in parallel
29 > with this one. That is one of my key sticking points with the
30 > shutdown. Most of the others are pretty fast. I just needed the
31 > quickest *clean* shutdown I could get.
32 > Thanks
33
34 I have four FAH jobs running on my compute server. I
35 can "kill -TERM fah6" in about 0.70 sec here, they
36 start up again and just keep going. FAH is pretty
37 robust when it comes to restarts; again if you crash
38 the proc's then it won't be any worse than the outcome
39 of loosing power: FAH will have to pick up its pieces
40 and keep going. At least with "halt -f" you'll get
41 the kernel space cleaned up.
42
43 Halt will stop the O/S (see note from manpage, below).
44 In this case a 'halt -f' would get the system down
45 about as quickly as possible without just hitting
46 the reset button.
47
48 NOTES
49 Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be
50 called
51 directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke
52 shutdown(8) if
53 the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or
54 reboot
55 cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when
56 /var/run/utmp
57 hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which
58 might
59 not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard
60 halt or
61 reboot.
64 Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
65 Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421
66 lembark@×××××××.com +1 888 359 3508
67 --
68 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list