From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:52:30
1 Steven Lembark wrote:
2 >
3 > I have four FAH jobs running on my compute server. I
4 > can "kill -TERM fah6" in about 0.70 sec here, they
5 > start up again and just keep going. FAH is pretty
6 > robust when it comes to restarts; again if you crash
7 > the proc's then it won't be any worse than the outcome
8 > of loosing power: FAH will have to pick up its pieces
9 > and keep going. At least with "halt -f" you'll get
10 > the kernel space cleaned up.
11 >
12 > Halt will stop the O/S (see note from manpage, below).
13 > In this case a 'halt -f' would get the system down
14 > about as quickly as possible without just hitting
15 > the reset button.
16 >
17 > NOTES
18 > Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be
19 > called
20 > directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke
21 > shutdown(8) if
22 > the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or
23 > reboot
24 > cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when
25 > /var/run/utmp
26 > hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which
27 > might
28 > not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard
29 > halt or
30 > reboot.
34 I see your point on stopping FAH. Here, when I do a regular stop, it
35 has a 17 second wait, can be 60 seconds depending on what it is doing at
36 the time. That is if it is called by /etc/init.d/zzfah stop. I didn't
37 have time to type in a lot of commands at the point my P/S was stinking
38 my room up. You are also correct that FAH is very robust. It writes
39 its restart point every 3 minutes on this rig so the most it will loose
40 is about 3 minutes. I have only lost data with FAH once.
41
42 I did test the halt -f command last night. I must say, it was fast. It
43 was literally a few seconds, very few. I did have one file system that
44 was . . . well . . . a little upset. I use reiserfs and after a fsck,
45 everything was fine. I also learned to add the -p option to that
46 command. The halt -f command but did not power off my system.
47
48 I learned a lot with this ordeal. One thing is that the P/S's
49 protection circuit must have worked very well. My mobo is doing just
50 fine so no damage outside of the P/S itself. I also learned that the
51 halt -f -p command should be really fast if this happens again.
52
53 Keep those thoughts coming.
54
55 Dale