From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo RPi boot to ram or read-only FS?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 14:02:25
1 On Tue, 26 May 2020 13:39:45 +0100, Ashley Dixon wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 08:12:30AM -0400, Frank Tarczynski wrote:
4 > > I'm building a video conference appliance using a Raspberry Pi 4 for
5 > > my parents.
6 > >
7 > > I'm using a RPi 4 that boots from a SD card and an USB
8 > > webcam/microphone.
9 > >
10 > > Gentoo is the only OS I can find that supports the USB webcam in both
11 > > Firefox and Chromium with no issues.
12 > >
13 > > Getting my parents to understand that they need to shutdown the RPi
14 > > before hitting the power button is a challenge. And I've not been
15 > > successful at finding a case for the RPi 4 with a soft power switch
16 > > and a fan.
17 >
18 > Gentoo seems like a terrible choice for those who are not technically
19 > inclined.
20
21 This is an appliance, the users merely turn it on and off. Administration
22 would presumably be done remotely by the OP, for which Gentoo is well
23 suited.
24
25 However, that is probably about the only advantage of Gentoo here, your
26 other points are so true.
27
28 OP: If you cannot find a commercial case that meets your needs, have a
29 look for a model on Thingiverse, then contact a local maker group to get
30 it 3D printed for you.
33 > Perhaps an easier solution, for the case of your parents,
34 > would be to find a simpler and smaller O.S.\ and then
35 > triage/fix the webcam and microphone problems.
36 >
37 > Aside from the perceived resolution of the webcam and microphone
38 > problems, are there any other significant reasons to use Gentoo ?
39 > Especially on a Raspberry Pi, it can be particularly difficult with
40 > the proprietary firmware.
47 Neil Bothwick
48
49 Use Colgate toothpaste or end up with teeth like a Ferengi.