From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo RPi boot to ram or read-only FS?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 12:40:16
1 On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 08:12:30AM -0400, Frank Tarczynski wrote:
2 > I'm building a video conference appliance using a Raspberry Pi 4 for my
3 > parents.
4 >
5 > I'm using a RPi 4 that boots from a SD card and an USB webcam/microphone.
6 >
7 > Gentoo is the only OS I can find that supports the USB webcam in both
8 > Firefox and Chromium with no issues.
9 >
10 > Getting my parents to understand that they need to shutdown the RPi before
11 > hitting the power button is a challenge. And I've not been successful at
12 > finding a case for the RPi 4 with a soft power switch and a fan.
13
14 Gentoo seems like a terrible choice for those who are not technically inclined.
15 Perhaps an easier solution, for the case of your parents, would be to find a
16 simpler and smaller O.S.\ and then triage/fix the webcam and microphone
17 problems.
18
19 Aside from the perceived resolution of the webcam and microphone problems, are
20 there any other significant reasons to use Gentoo ? Especially on a Raspberry
21 Pi, it can be particularly difficult with the proprietary firmware.
25 Ashley Dixon
26 suugaku.co.uk
29 DA96 D18A
30 8A7B B0D2