From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2.4 -> 2.6 wierdness
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:00:04
1 Jerry McBride schreef:
2 > On Tuesday 05 July 2005 06:00 pm, creighto@××××××.org wrote:
3 >
4 >>Trying to Migrate to 2.6. But when I reboot into my new genkerneled
5 >>system, I cannot use X.org anymore, it complains about agpgart not
6 >>working. Even If I modprobe the kernel mod or even compile it in directly
7 >>it rejects it.
8 >>Any Ideas on how to proceed?
9 >>
10 >>Creighton
14 > Without seeing the xorg logfile from /var/logs... I'd say you ahve to
15 > re-emerge xorg or at the least run revdep-rebuild -p to see whta has to get
16 > upgraded also.
19 I question whether that would work, without knowing what hardware
20 (motherboard, videocard) is involved, especially when I hear the word
21 'genkernel'.
22
23 To me, errors in agpgart first suggest that either support for your
24 motherboard's agp chipset is not compiled into the kernel, or --if
25 compiled as a module, is not loaded; and secondly, the outside chance
26 that-- if using an ATI card-- the InternalAGPGART setting is wrong; set
27 to YES when it should be set to NO because you have to use your
28 motherboard's kernel module (but this does not usually result in X.org
29 not starting, just complaints in the logs), or set to NO when it should
30 be set to YES because you don't use your motherboard's kernel support,
31 so no agpgart is being loaded at all (which I would imagine would
32 prevent X from starting).
33
34 What does dmesg or /var/log/messages say about agpgart? Did it try to
35 load and fail? What does lsmod say is loaded? If nothing, can you
36 modprobe your agpgart module? What is your mobo and video card? If an
37 ATI or nVidia video card, did you re-emerge the drivers after compiling
38 the kernel?
39
40 Basically, I'd just like to confirm that genkernel didn't drop the ball.
41
42 Holly
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list