From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'Hibernate' by power button
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 19:45:25
1 On Friday 16 February 2007 19:13, Raymond Lewis Rebbeck wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 17 February 2007 5:31, Mick wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > A few weeks ago I updated acpi and hibernate and their relevant
6 > > configuration files. Since then when I press the power button on my
7 > > laptop nothing happens.
8 > >
9 > > Clearly something was changed, intentionally or otherwise, and this
10 > > feature is no longer available to me. Would you care to point me in the
11 > > right direction - how do I set my power button to run the hibernate
12 > > script?
13 >
14 > I assume you're using acpid. Look in /etc/acpi/ there is a default script
15 > that is run for acpi events, it handles the power button by calling
16 > /sbin/init 0. Replace the command it runs with hibernate or similar.
17
18 Thanks Raymond, I have this in my /etc/acpi/events/default:
19 ==========================
20 event=button[/]power.*
21 action=/usr/sbin/hibernate
22 ==========================
23
24 but nothing happens or gets logged when I press the power button. Could this
25 be something to do with the /etc/acpi/default.sh file perhaps? I vaguely
26 remember hacking it unashamedly in the mist of time to get the button
27 working.
28 ==========================
29 #!/bin/sh
30 # /etc/acpi/default.sh
31 # Default acpi script that takes an entry for all actions
32
33 set $*
34
35 group=${1/\/*/}
36 action=${1/*\//}
37 device=$2
38 id=$3
39 value=$4
40
41 log_unhandled() {
42 logger "ACPI event unhandled:
43 $*" }
44
45 case "$group" in
46 button)
47 case "$action" in
48 power)
49 /sbin/init 0
50 ;;
51 sleep)
52 /usr/sbin/hibernate
53 ;;
54 thermal_zone)
55 ;; # I don't care, the fan works anyway.
56
57 # if your laptop doesnt turn on/off the display via hardware
58 # switch and instead just generates an acpi event, you can force
59 # X to turn off the display via dpms. note you will have to run
60 # 'xhost +local:0' so root can access the X DISPLAY.
61 #lid)
62 xset dpms force off
63 # ;;
64
65 *) log_unhandled $* ;;
66 esac
67 ;;
68
69 ac_adapter)
70 case "$value" in
71 # Add code here to handle when the system is unplugged
72 # (maybe change cpu scaling to powersave mode)
73 #*0)
74 # ;;
75
76 # Add code here to handle when the system is plugged
77 in
78 # (maybe change cpu scaling to performance mode)
79 #*1)
80 # ;;
81 *) log_unhandled $* ;;
82 esac