From: Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, "(Nuno Silva)" <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>
Subject: [gentoo-user] The Full Story.
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 21:44:18
1 Ok, it's about 2:45 AM, I thoughtlessly did something absurdly risky,
2 resize a chromium browser pane by clicking on the edge of the window and
3 dragging it a few pixels, so naturally X11 goes down taking my number
4 theory code with it. Reminder: I had run that code from May 1 through
5 last week and only voluntarily rebooted my machine....
6
7 ##############
8 GAH!!!!
9 dev-util/meson:0
10
11   (dev-util/meson-0.52.0:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
12 conflicts with
13     <dev-util/meson-0.52 required by
14 (gnome-base/dconf-0.32.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
15     ^               ^^^^
16 #############
19 So I decided to do an emergency system update and reboot the damn thing
20 completely and hopefully things would get a little better.
21
22 In this state, my frame of mind was to just keep hitting the damn thing
23 with the heaviest, bluntest object I could get my hands on until I got
24 it to work and I could go to bed... I gave up at 4:15 am... My goal is a
25 3 AM bed time... Basically I was being fast and ruthless with emerge
26 --unmerge, clearing useflags, masking crap, etc... I did not do anything
27 I regret today but still...
28
29 (also, the goddamned fake indian recruiters who only try to get you to
30 agree to let them represent you in your job negotiations with some
31 random company in some random state had called me ten times that day,
32 and another 7 times today for that matter... I found that if I emphasize
33 that I'm on the virge of a nervous breakdown they might, reluctantly
34 remove me from their database but usually they just laugh...)
35
36 I've spent a whole day wrestling with it at this point.
37
38 CHROMIUM WILL NOT LOAD AT ALL. It fails a good 30 minutes into the
39 build, the packages involved are quite archane... Ninja?!?!?! V8?!?!?!?
40
41 My theory about chromium is that the release frequency seems to be
42 faster than the time it actually takes to build the thing. I think they
43 do this to avoid bug reports as they will be ten versions further on by
44 the time any actual bug reports make it back upstream... The only way
45 this could be possible is to run builds across maybe a dozen machines
46 in a datacenter, starting a new build every 30 minutes and then
47 releasing the ones that complete...
48
49 KDE is similar, in that the releases are much more frequent than any
50 conceivable development cycle for that number of packages. Many of which
51 are probably being version bumped just for grins and giggles... Damnit
52 guys, give it a rest until you've made stuff like Akregator actually
53 work without crashing...
56 (Nuno Silva) wrote:
57 >
58 > Alan Grimes' e-mail address seems to be from Verizon, which is, if I
59 > understand correctly, Yahoo Mail.
60
61 Worse, AOL mail.
65 Clowns feed off of funny money;